Master’s Degree Admissions
The M.S. in Shelter Medicine program is administered through UF’s College of Veterinary Medicine. Upon successful completion of this program, students will receive a diploma stating:
- Master of Science issued by the Graduate School
- The transcripts will read Master of Science in Veterinary Medical Sciences with a Concentration in Shelter Medicine
Master’s degree minimum requirements: for all applicants (domestic and international)
- A bachelor’s degree in any subject from an accredited institution with an upper-division GPA of 3.0 or better (prior coursework in biology, health and/or animal sciences is preferred)
A DVM or VMD degree from a regionally accredited institution or its international equivalent
Students currently enrolled in a DVM or VMD degree program from a regionally accredited institution or its international equivalent
- Three recommendation letters by academic or professional contacts speaking of the applicant’s experience and expertise (optional, but not mandatory)
Domestic applicants: please submit official transcripts from all colleges and institutions attended to the UF Office of Admissions. If unable to submit electronically, please mail to:
University of Florida
Office of Admissions
201 Criser Hall – PO Box 114000
Gainesville, FL 32611-4000
Additional master’s degree minimum requirements: for international or non-English speaking applicants only
- For a person whose native language is not English or for an applicant who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from a non-English speaking country, minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores are 550 for the paper-based, 213 for the computer-based, or 80 for the internet-based exams.
- Non-English speaking countries are those which are not included in the Graduate School’s list of English speaking countries.
- Other Graduate Council-approved English language skills tests may be substituted for the TOEFL, including IELTS and MELAB.
For more information on the necessary scores for English language skills tests, please visit this website.
- Original, official transcript/mark sheet and diploma/degree certificates from prior institutions.
- Documents must be in the native language from each university or college attended. If the native language for the documents is not English, a certified, literal (exact) translation is required.
- Please mail these documents to:
University of Florida
Maples Center for Forensic Medicine
Attn: Dr. Jason Byrd
4800 SW 35th Drive
Gainesville FL – 32608
- If you would like this document returned to you, please include a return shipping label and return packaging with it.
- Please download this checklist PDF to include with your package.
Transfer of Credits
A maximum of 9 transfer credits are allowed to count toward a M.S. degree. These courses must be graduate level (5000-7999) and earned with a grade of B or better. The course(s) cannot have been taken longer than seven years from the term you begin as a M.S. student.
To have credits reviewed for transfer from another university, please email firstname.lastname@example.org the following information:
- The name of your previous institution
- The course name/number from your previous institution
- The term/year the course was completed
- The course in our program for which you think the credits will satisfy
- A copy of your transcripts (unofficial is fine), or a notification that we already have them on file
- A syllabus for the course that you would like to transfer
We will forward the request to the Department, who will then make a decision.